Tuesday, October 21, 2008

A New Tradition

We started making our Apple Butter last night. I definitely think that this (Apple picking and baking) will become an annual tradition in our house to usher in the Fall. It's a lot of fun, and not as much work as the other stuff we pick in the summer :) Not to mention, Apples keep longer, so you can take a week or two to do everything you want to do with them... instead of hurrying up before they go bad.
I set up our little Apple cutting "weapon", as Tristan calls it, and sat down to make some Apple Butter. The first time I tried it, it didn't work so great.... but I fiddled around with it, and was like, "oooohhhh, that's how it works!" and so it was smooth running after that :) And that thing is AWESOME! It peels, slices and cores in a few seconds; even Tristan could do it...which is what I was hoping for ;)

I had to boil the Apples in some cider for about 30 minutes and then I transfered them to my crock-pot. I used to immersion blender to puree it, and then added all the brown sugar and spices. I let it sit overnight on low heat and woke up this morning to the beautiful aroma of Apple Butter! Now all I have to do is can it, and repeat the process tomorrow :)

No comments: