Monday, June 1, 2009

Saturday, May 23rd

We got up around 7 am, showered and dressed, then went down to get some breakfast...which wasn't much. We were on the road by 9:30 am... pretty darn good. We passed through Knoxville, TN...Chattanooga, Birmingham, AL ; Meridian, MS and finally got to New Orleans at about 7:30 pm.

We saw my Aunt Julie and Uncle Coonie first b/c they were out in the yard and then went in the house to see Memaw. She told us everything that went on that day (Thursday) and she was really upset, so all we could do was listen and comfort her as best we could.

We visited with her and Nanny, Aunt Dawn, Amber and Tito for a bit before my mom and sisters showed up. Then we all went to the hotel.

We stayed in a 2 BR suite at the Marriott Residence Inn. I really LOVE Marriott hotels, their beds are just awesome... we are going to order one when we get a new mattress :) Anyways, it was OK. The place was updated and clean, nothing luxurious or anything. It did have a free hot breakfast in the mornings which was nice. It had like waffles, sausage, eggs, potatoes, etc. pretty good too.

I noticed that Metairie and New Orleans had changed a lot since Katrina. There were lots of derelict buildings and in general it just looked junkier. Lots of trees were missing... it was no where near as crowded as it always has been... but, I was happy to see that some parts haven't changed... there were lots of things that have been around since I was a kid that I noticed still there.

Saturday was a lonnnnnnnng day, and I was exhausted.... I slept pretty good that night.

No comments: