Wednesday, November 5, 2008

I Voted!!

Well, I voted for the first time ever today! I am sad to report (as I'm sure you already know) that my team lost.... I have many reasons why I voted for McCain, number one being that he is a military veteran, and a decorated war hero at that! Number two, he's Pro-Life....I could never, ever, under any circumstances, no matter who the candidate, give my vote to someone who believes that murdering the unborn is OK....even if I agreed with everything else they stood for. Well, those are the two biggies and they outweighed the things that I disagreed with him on...essentially, I REALLY wanted Ron Paul to be the next President....but, that didn't pan out, so I went with the lesser of the two evils....although, I hate that term b/c I don't think that either one of them are evil.... is it too early to start the "Ron Paul 2012" campaign????

All that being said... being the History fanatic that I am, I am SO excited to be a part of this historical moment!! The first black President.... being from the South, I just never thought I would see this moment! I printed out several articles from the internet to save for my scrapbooks and I'll make sure to get a few newspapers to save. I stayed up to watch each of them give their speeches. I felt bad for McCain, but I think he handled it very well and I think that he lost very gracefully. Obama's speech was really good as well. My favorite part was when he talked about the 106 year old voter, and all that she has seen in her lifetime... I think about that so often, and it just totally overwhelms me to think about ALL the stuff that people who have lived through the 20th century have seen in their lifetimes!! I mean, there are people alive right now, who have memories of not being able to drink water from the same fountains as white people...and at this very moment, are watching as the first black President has just been elected.... can you IMAGINE??? It just blows my mind....

I am a little nervous about what his Presidency will hold, b/c he has never been in the military and we are in the middle of a war and also I'm nervous about my taxes going up...but at the same time, I figure he can't possibly screw things up any more than things already are, and the current administration isn't working, so what the hey, I guess we'll give him a shot and see what he does. I'll definitely pray for him, that's for sure! All differences aside, I'm so scared for that man and his family! I grew up in an area that is SO densely populated with the most ignorant people in the country, that I KNOW that there are leagues of morons out there who would try to hurt him and/or his family.... I hope he makes it through all this, and my number one prayer for him will be safety.... secondly, I just pray that he does a decent job!

One thing is for sure..... even if I have to camp out overnight (and we all know I'll probably have too...) I'm getting tickets for the Easter Egg Roll at the White House next year!!

No comments: