I hate the ACT of moving... anyone else? You never realize how much CRAP you have until you need to move it all from one location to another. And when you realize it in the middle of a move, it's way too late to start going through things, piece by piece, to keep only what you need/want. And so, we have been toting crap around for the past, oh I don't know, 7 years... With each move we have unloaded a bit more crap, but yet some crap remains.... and it's painful to find something, and remember how much you spent on it, and remember how you just HAD to have it...and then you look at piles of stuff that fit that description and realize you could have funded a Disney trip with all that money.... I weep for my lost Disney trips :(
NO MORE!! Down with hoarding, I say!!!!!
We went and bought a new file cabinet from IKEA. I LOVE IKEA, by the way! But that is a whole 'nother post. I have started going through the file cabinet and consolidating. I cannot believe I STILL have TLA receipts from the Honolulu Airport Hotel from when we first arrived in Hawaii... we're talking back in 2002 people! We had our taxes from 2000 on up, about 200 copies of orders, Leave request forms from the Army, etc. I was like... WHY AM I KEEPING THIS JUNK???? And b/c the Army puts your Social on EVERYTHING I now have a pile of papers (to be shredded) the size of Mt. Everest :) It's not that bad, but the shredder can only shred for like 2 minutes before it gets hot and shuts off for 15 minutes, so it's a royal. pain. in. my. butt.
I saved only 3 years worth of taxes (cause that's what "they" reccommend) and made more categorized files, so now everything is neat, tidy and beautiful.... except for the mountain of papers... in my bedroom...which is not. Phase 1, semi-complete!
There will be major changes in order for this new house. I have discovered, over the years, that I HATE clutter. I can't stand things that don't have a "place". My current set up, has much clutter, this will change with the new house. As much as I like knick-knacks, especially Disney ones, I have decided I don't want any. All they do is collect dust. Why spend money on dust-holders when I can spend that money on vacation?
I don't like seeing wires. It bugs the tar out of me. There is a huge jungle of wires behind this very computer desk that hangs down in chaos, AND collects dust. I hate them. This WILL NOT happen in the new house. I'm going to get those tube things that gather all your wires together and hide them, or get furniture that hides them. Death to wire chaos!
I'm going to get furniture that hides your stuff, with the use of cute little boxes and wicker baskets :) And I'm going to stop buying dust-holders to put in my house, like knick-knacks, CD's, and books. No more buying books. We have too many, and I'm attatched (Which is really weird). So no more.... I'm trying to convince myself to get rid of the 3 years worth of National Geographic magazines that I have.... I like them, but I will not likely read them again. I am saving them b/c well, they're mine, and you know...Tristan may use them for book reports some day...maybe.... I have issues... 3 years worth ;)
1 comment:
Oh, I feel you so hard! I HATE HATE HATE moving! The very thought of it actually makes me want to cry and throw up. I know we will probably be moving again in a couple years and... oh I don't even want to think about it.
I, too, think of all the money we've wasted. Like on the _Alien_ DVDs. Those are too scary! I'm never watching them again! Why oh why did we buy them?
And the books...HIS books. I keep telling him, we gotta start purging NOW for a move in 2 years! If you see a book you're never going to read, put it in this paper bag and I donate it to the library. Same with clothes. Little by little.
Post a Comment