Monday, January 12, 2009

Laundry

I am still making the switch to "going green". The latest thing I have decided to tackle was the way I do laundry. I always buy detergents with yummy flavors and the matching softeners AND matching dryer sheets, I even use EXTRA so our clothes smell good... tsk, tsk!! Then I read that these things are one way that all those endocrine disrupting toxins, etc. enter our bodies and that it's actually not good for you when you pull your clothes out and take a huge *Sniff* of your nice smelling clothes.... what a bummer!!! Apparently, it also makes your clothes more flammable, who knew??

So, I started buying the Seventh Generation brand of detergent. Also, I learned that you can put ordinary, plain old vinegar in your rinse cycle and it works just the same as (if not better than) fabric softener. Not to mention it's a whole heck-of-a-lot cheaper! Two birds with one stone on that one!! I couldn't find any natural dryer sheets at Target, so I bought good smelling regular ones... I'll keep searching for natural ones at Whole Foods or something, until then, 2 outta 3 ain't bad, right?

This is also a good thing b/c both Arthur and Tristan are sensitive to too much fragrance in their clothes. They always get itchy patches of skin if I use too much laundry stuff, and there are some brands, like the Tide with Baking Soda, that I can't use at all b/c it makes their skin REALLY itchy.... I guess that's all the proof I need that that stuff isn't good for you!!

No comments: