Monday, March 1, 2010

Homeschool Review

Well, we had our first Homeschool Review done by the County school board last week! I was a bit nervous... but, alas, I shouldn't have been! I worried about not bringing enough to show them and turns out I brought WAY too much :) The lady who evaluated us was very impressed and told me I was doing a GREAT job... which felt really, really good :) She was very nice and the whole thing was very up-beat and they weren't looking at us like freaks or anything, even though the reviewers are public school teachers.... I was just imagining all kinds of crazy things! *silly me*

Tristan cracked me up! I was so worried that he would pull a "Tristan" and say something just completely out from left field, like how much he hated homeschool, or that I tie him up with chains down in a dungeon or something!! He was VERY polite and social (although, that's typical... my little social butterfly!) and sat quitely and looked through his encyclopedia. He interrupted by saying, "Excuse me?" (I was thinking, "Oh great, here we go...") Then, he proceeded to point out the flag of Canada to tell me and the lady that it was the flag from the country with the Winter Olympics!! We couldn't have rehearsed it any better!! Oh. my. goodness.

THEN, he picks up this book we read MONTHS ago and asks the lady if she read it... she said no. He proceeds to tell her EVERYTHING that happened in this book, in GREAT detail, holding the book up like a teacher so she could see the pictures!! (I'm just staring at him...like, WHO is this child?? Where is Tristan?? The boy who was *I thought* not even paying attention when we read that story! B/c I VIVIDLY remember getting quite irritated with him for not paying attention!!) Seriously. I could have cried... but I was in shock! Our reviewer was QUITE impressed and looked as though she could have dipped Tristan in chocolate and ate him up!

Needless to say.... one very happy little boy got to pick something out at the toy store immediately following that review ;) And one very happy mother was very relieved to know that her child is ACTUALLY learning something... AND, hopes that he repeats the performance for our last review in the spring ;)

But seriously though... children are WEIRD. His dad asks him all the time what he is learning in school, and it's, "I don't know" or "I can't remember" or "My brain isn't working right now". If I try to get him to recount to others what he is learning he couldn't be LESS interested. And then, he goes and acts like that.... I just don't understand what goes through that child's head!! BUT, I'm glad that THIS time, the strange behavior worked in my favor!!

1 comment:

Kassy and Mike said...

hahaha! I'm soooo happy it went well for you. I can imagine how anxious you must have been, it sounds like quite the process! :)