Monday, February 21, 2011

Lasagna Gardening

OK, so I have figured out what my game plan for this garden plot is!

I am going to try "Lasagna Gardening".

It basically means you do not till the soil. You build raised beds on TOP of the soil using old newspapers, cardboard, grass clippings, leaves, kitchen scraps, etc. by layering them like lasagna.

We'll see how it works! I've already started putting my coffee grounds and kitchen scraps in the freezer. Plus, I have several friends who have agreed to supply me with used newspapers and grass clippings :)

The Gardens open March 1st, just a few days after classes end. I'll clear the Winter Rye, pick things up a bit, and mark where I want my beds. Then, I'll gather my Organic materials and start the layering of the beds later in the week. That's the plan, anyways!

I have ordered all my seeds and they are on the way; here is what I'm going to TRY and grow:

Basil
Chives
Cilantro
Dill
Parsley
Lavender
Marigolds
Blackberry bushes
Raspberry bushes
Cucumbers
Kale
Lettuce (2 kinds)
Onions
Sweet Peppers
Jalapeno Peppers
Spinach
Swiss Chard
Amish Paste Tomatoes
Slicing Tomatoes
Cherry Tomatoes
Watermelon

Wish me luck.... cause I'm going to NEED it!

No comments: