Tuesday, January 26, 2010

Taverna Cretekou

I have always meant to blog about/review all the restaurants we go to! Alas, I stink at blogging and always forget... so I'm going to start right now :)

On Sunday night, we went out and met some friends for Arthur's Birthday. We drove to Alexandria, VA b/c they have SO many great places to eat at! I picked Taverna Cretekou, which is Greek.... It was great :) It's a beautiful, nicely themed and clean restaurant. The Hostess and waitstaff seemed to be all or mostly Greek. Our waiter, I think, was the co-owner and he totally reminded me of Toula's dad on "My Big Fat Greek Wedding". We got an appetizer platter with a bunch of traditional stuff on it, a broiled feta cheese (in oil w/ sun dried tomatoes) dip, and some crab stuffed mushrooms. All the food is very authentic and very tasty. This is NOT Americanized Greek food! They recommended wine for each entree and were very kind and accommodating to Tristan. Please note that, again, this is an authentic restaurant.... it is not customary, in most other places of the World, to have a separate menu of fried/fatty junk food to feed your children. They eat what the adults eat, just in smaller portions... SO, this place did not have a kids menu OR chicken fingers, which was FINE by me :) They made up a plate of grilled chicken, Greek rice and vegetables for him and he also had some Spanokopita from our sampler. He liked it very much.

We liked this place very much and will be returning! I highly recommend it :)

No comments: