Tuesday, September 29, 2009

Virginia Beach (area) trip

On our first day out, we went drove up to Jamestowne Settlement, which is right next to Williamsburg. It was a nice day, although it did get hot later on. This was a NICE place to visit if you (like me) LOVE history. It was great, we saw all kinds of stuff and the place was very clean and nice, and it wasn't crowded. Tristan's FAVORITE part, out of ALL the STUFF we saw, was the replica of the old bowling set he found out in the yards behind one of the houses. He had a "ball" with that raggedy old dirty bowling set... the child loves sports, I dunno what else to say.
He also found the blacksmith to be quite interesting. He asked him all sorts of questions about his fire :) My favorite part was seeing how the Indians hollowed out the canoes. Holy cow, THAT is some labor intensive work!!
After Jamestowne, we drove through Williamsburg area and went to the Yankee Candle flagship store. It was really neat in there! The Christmas shop was beautiful and it "snowed" every 5 minutes. There was a toy area too and a place where you could dip your hand in wax and then take it off and keep it as a souvenir. I got two jar candles; Home for the Holidays and Farmer's Market. It's a really neat store, I highly suggest you stop in if you are ever in the area :)
Lastly, we stopped at Historic Williamsburg. I LOVE this place. Something I found out while there... you can walk through the town without buying tickets. You only need a ticket if you go into any of the buildings to see the living history people. I really would have liked to do that, but Tristan was getting tired after a long day in the sun and shopping ;) We ate lunch at a sub/Pizza place and it was great. We shopped in the shopping area at the end of the historic area and then called it a day.

The next day, it rained and rained and rained, it was nasty! So, we went to the Virginia Sports Hall of Fame, in Portsmouth. We got there right when it opened and we had the whole place to ourselves. This was the HIGHLIGHT of the whole trip for Tristan!! He played Basketball, Soccer, Football and threw a baseball (faster than me I might add, how pathetic am I??). He also got to see and TOUCH a real NASCAR racing car. He wore Ms. Francis out! He still asks if we can go back to the Sports museum :) The day after that, it was rainy too, so we went to the Children's Museum in Portsmouth. It was very old, in need of updates (they closed a few days later, for a complete remodel), but Tristan had fun. They had lots of model trains and he thought they were awesome.

No comments: