Today is our last full day in our Apartment! I have cleaned the oven, sprayed Kilz over Tristan's wall art work and now I am cleaning off the remaining remnants of our furniture, so I don't bring along dust and junk with us to our new house :) While vaccuuming out the couch I realized just how old (7 yrs.) and worn it is.... and I immediately thought about just trashing it here and going to the furniture store and financing a new one! *doh!*
I really, really, really, REALLY need to stop thinking that way! Because, first of all, paying interest on furniture is goofy.... never pay interest on something that depreciates! I'm already breaking this rule on the car.... second of all, when I get in moods like that, I impulse buy and end up with something that I'm not totally happy with and it usually ends up being cheap and/or uncomfortable and/or not really the style I want.... for example, the couch we have now... **roll-my-eyes**
I also wanted to do the same thing with Tristan's bed! (See impulse buys, above)
So, I am trying VERY hard to break this bad habit and will just have to live with my stupid impulse buys until.....
1. I am completely sure about the style I want in my new house
2. I have shopped around at all available furniture stores
3. I have saved up enough money to pay cash for whatever I'm buying
4. I am ABSOLUTELY CERTAIN that the piece of furniture I am looking at is something I want in my house for the next 7-10 years and that the piece of furniture will actually LAST that long!
Seriously, I'm a doofus.... atleast recognizing my bad behavior and putting it down in cyber-space makes me feel better..... and it motivates me to kick the habit!
Anyways, I probably won't be back on here until after the move and after we get our Fios hooked back up! YAY!! New House!!! YAAAAAYYY!! Moving almost over!!! YAY!!!!!!!!!
1 comment:
Right on, girl! Awareness is the first, most crucial step in change, as you can see. You'll save up your money and you'll get something you really love. Remember, good furniture lasts for GENERATIONs, not just years! Get Tristan a bed that he will be happy with through his teen years and something you will want in your guest room when he *sigh* eventually leaves the nest.
And congratulations on almost being done moving!! Yay!! :D
Post a Comment