Thursday, October 27, 2011

MFW: Week 5

(I know, I'm behind!)

Week 5 was all about The Mayflower and the Pilgrims! In Bible, Tristan learned about Jesus: "The Light of the World". We read lots of bible verses that contained this "name" for Jesus and Tristan is learning how to find the verses on his own :) His Memory Verse was John 8: 12.

"I am the light of the world. Whoever follows me will never walk in darkness, but will have the light of life."

This tied in with Science because we learned about the Sun (and other stars!), you know, b/c they give light to our world ;)

We read this great book by Franklyn M. Branley called "The Big Dipper". It told all about the stars and constellations and how to find and distinguish the big (and little) dipper. One night, we even went outside with the compass to try and find it, but alas, as it is now fall.... the dippers were too low on the horizon (sky??) to see, especially with all the trees blocking our view :) BUT, we'll be back, big dipper..... we'll be back!



We read a lot of stories about the Pilgrims in the "American Pioneers and Patriots" book. Something that I learned, and I thought was cool, was that they used heavy parchment paper for windows!! They oiled the paper to make it stronger and waterproof, and to let the sunshine in. I never learned that in school!! I guess I never thought much about what the windows were like back then, LOL!!!

We started learning a new song on our "Celebrate America" CD, as well; America! You know, "My country 'tis of thee, sweet land of liberty, of thee I sing...." yep, that one :)

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=S4Mu-kCsUiU



Tristan's reader was "Good Work, Amelia Bedelia". Can I just say that I STILL love Amelia Bedelia books?? I just found them SO funny when I was a kid :) Tristan kinda does and now I just think they are cute :)



We plugged away at the rest of the subjects; Spelling, Language Arts, Math, Art, etc. and we were still reading our "Squanto" read a-loud.



We are also working on all the memory work for Classical Conversations! Let's not forget that!! So far, Tristan's favorite verse(s) is definitely the States and Capitols song..... he's almost got the whole thing memorized :)

That weekend, we had our FIRST field trip of the year :) We went on a walking tour, led by yours truly, to see some of the Monuments/Memorials in DC.... at night!! It rained all day, but graciously stopped right before we began our tour and didn't start again until we were at the last stop. We parked by the tidal basin and walked to the FDR Memorial, then stopped and saw the new MLK, Jr. Memorial.... then it was Korean War Memorial, Lincoln Memorial and WW2 Memorial. Despite the rain, we had 30 something people show up!! I was SO grateful to all who came :) We had a great time and I'm pretty sure the kids learned something!













No comments: